Friday, March 15, 2013

Don't be afraid to ask for help!: by Peer Mentor Samantha Wong

Although asking for help may seem intimidating or embarrassing, it's definitely worth it. I know a lot of teachers don't seem approachable, but they are ultimately there to help you; it's their job. A lot of teachers include their free mods/blocks in their syllabi for a reason: they want you to come to them if you need help! 

Personally, I've always been a little intimidated by my teachers, especially in the subjects that I don't feel very confident in. For example, I've never really been a history person, but I'm taking AP World this year. In the beginning, I had a lot of questions about particular assignments and formats that my teacher wanted, but I didn't want to go up and ask him. However, one day, I decided to visit him during a mutual free mod and just ask for help. It turned out that he was really friendly and helpful, and I got the answers I needed. By approaching my teacher, I didn't just get help for an assignment; I also developed a better relationship with him and have become more comfortable with asking questions. Since then, I have probably visited the Social Studies office 10+ times with questions about various assignments and projects. I ended up getting pretty good grades on these assignments, and I'm confident that I wouldn't have done as well if I hadn't clarified my questions with my teacher. 

Even if your teacher is intimidating, you shouldn't give up on trying to ask for help. At the end of the day, it's important to fully comprehend what you're learning in school. It's a lot worse to fall behind than ask for help. There are a lot of great resources and people at Lowell who really DO want to help. Don't be afraid to sign up for a CSF tutor or maybe talk to friends in your classes/upperclassmen for some help. If you don't feel comfortable using Lowell's resources, then look for outside sources! There are tons of tutors out there on the internet, and I doubt any parent would object to you wanting to learn more. 

At the end of the day, asking for help can never be a bad thing. You're at Lowell for a reason and obviously care about your education. Falling behind might be the worse thing that can happen because once you fall behind, it's EXTREMELY hard to catch up (trust me). Even if it means going a little outside of your comfort zone, asking for help benefits you in so many ways: you develop better relationships with your teachers/peers, you understand things better, and you ultimately get better grades! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment