Monday, April 9, 2012

Acceptance at Lowell: by Peer Mentor Katie Loughran

I believe that Lowell is a very accepting place for all sorts of students.

Freshmen year, I tried out for cheerleading. Not knowing what to expect, I, along with ten other freshmen, made it onto the JV squad. We were all very excited because we had seen cheerleaders in movies and on TV and we thought it was going to be a lot of fun. I wasn’t very close with many of the girls on the squad, but over the time span of a year, I felt like I could turn to them for anything. They were my cheer sisters.

After that year, we were to try out for varsity. After a few weeks of try outs, they finally emailed out a list, and I had made it. I was so excited to be on varsity and meet all of the other upperclassmen and have them be just like my other cheer sisters. Over time, we bonded during practices and out of practices. We spent so much time together, getting to know each other with carwashes, bake sales, and cheer-a-thons. I truly felt like they were all my sisters. I feel like I have met so many more people from cheer that I maybe would never have met had I not tried out freshmen year.

I feel that cheer helped me make new friends and gain new experiences that I would have never seen for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment