Monday, April 2, 2012

Support From Teachers: by Peer Mentor Jordan Wong

Coming out of middle school, I was quite full of myself. I was at the top of my class, and academics just came naturally to me. However, first coming to Lowell and going from being the big fish in the small pond to being just another big fish in the big pond, I was a bit flustered. That being said, the greatest help for me adjusting to the new environment was my teachers.

It was my first semester 9th Grade English class, and halfway into the first grading period, I was fully convinced that my teacher hated me. I dreaded going to class every day, and I was just about ready to accept whatever grade I would get for the grading period, and possibly the semester. Fast forward to the end of the first grading period, I was quite surprised to find that I got an A- in the class.

I went to talk to the teacher (who shall remain anonymous), and she told me that she noticed the effort I was putting in the class. Since then, I began having periodic conversations with her, and I changed my attitude about the class. I enjoyed going to class, I participated often, and most importantly, I put much more effort into the class. She gave me helpful advice and told me about her thought process when grading. I ended up finishing the class with a solid A.

There are two lessons to take away. First, don’t let appearances deceive you. Teachers are much more perceptive than most students paint them out to be. The overarching lesson to take away, however, is that the teacher is ultimately there to help you. Talking to your teacher, while intimidating, lets your teacher know that you care about the class and the material and alert your teacher to your presence. Teachers have many useful tips to give you –if you just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment