Monday, April 9, 2012

Freshman Year Experiences: by Peer Mentor Jasmine

Last year, my freshman year at Lowell, was extremely stressful and unorganized in the beginning. Fall semester went by pretty quickly, and everything seemed just fine, until spring semester started. I had participated as a Track and Field member in middle school, and was in love with the sport as it was very diverse and challenging. I knew I wanted to be a part of Lowell's Track Team, so I dedicated my after schools and weekends to the practices, where I could meet people of different ages, ethnicities, and skills. My Modern World History class was my first of the day, and as the Track Season plowed on I began arriving late to my MWH class, unable to finish quizzes and understand the material. It wasn't until I received my first F grade on a scantron test that I got a huge wake up call; I had to get my act together or else my grades and my dreams of becoming a great all around student would go down the drain. I persisted in studying and, my ability to stay on the team shrinking because my parents were extremely worried, I worked harder than before. I consulted my teacher and spent more time each night with my textbook, reading and rereading material until it finally stuck. The next test came around, and when the were passed out again, I peeked at my scantron with one eye shut and one eye squinting. I had gotten an A! I was very relieved, and I worked just as hard on my next tests in all my classes. So this goes to show, greatness and rewards can be achieved at Lowell, no matter how much you doubt yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment